Thursday, July 7, 2011

General Update- 110707

There have been some additions since my last post. 

I purchased another set of chicks, Ameraucanas that lay blue-green eggs.  I think I will like the colored eggs but they are not filling out like the Cochins have and since they are a banty chicken they will not be much for the pot.  I think my next batch will either be Cochin again, or maybe Buff Orpingtons which are also known for their dual uses.  In a couple weeks I will cull the roosters from the flock and I hope the hens will begin to lay soon.  I also added another 8 feet and a second nest box to the far end of my chicken yard.  After culling the roosters I will have about 9 hens and a rooster which is about what my coop is designed for.

I have also purchased a couple other rabbits.  One of the "training rabbits"- a doe - decided that she was not going to eat or drink so eventually I was forced to cull her.  This made room for a pedigreed New Zealand white doe.  I also purchased a Champagne De Argent buck.  I will breed him back to the crossed doe once the weather cools down, or I may purchase Champagne doe and breed her.  My goal is still to have a New Zealand White pair and a Champagne pair.  This will allow me both full bred AND terminal crosses.  

My Champagne/Californian crossed doe has successfully kindled a litter of six, all does as far as I can tell.  Currently they are growing and doing well and should be ready for butchering in a couple of months.  I am looking forward to trying my hand at making rabbit sausage.

Also, a couple weeks ago, two rabbits wondered into our yard.  A white and a dark grey rabbit.  Since they were apparently escapees I have not taken the time to sex them but I believe the white is an older buck.  I will be putting signs out this weekend to see if their owners will respond but after that, no promises.


The garden is about to go out, at least parts of it.  Squash is about gone with the Squash borer worms, and the tomatoes are having troubles with the heat.  I planted some new zucchini squash but it is not producing.  The heat burned up the cucumbers.  My storage onions have done well.  Most of them are between baseball and softball size.  They are flavorful and even make me cry when I cut them.  They are about ready to be pulled.

My fruit trees have done well this year.  I harvested several plums.  They were juicy and delicious.  My fig trees are producing now and I have white figs that are bigger than golf balls.  My brown figs are a later variety and are still green.  The challenge is to pick the figs before the birds and hornets get to them!  I have been cutting them in half and drying them in my Ronco Dehydrator.  Say what you want about Mr. Popiel, but he makes a decent dehydrator!

The compost piles are doing well.  I have been layering green grass clippings with shredded office paper.  I also mix in the hay and manure from my weekly chicken coop and rabbitry cleaning.  I have measured temperatures around 150 degrees! One of these days I will rework my compost piles and replace the old fence and fence posts that constantly scratch and poke me while I am working them.  Just add it to my list!

I have a "hay shed" half done.  The framing is complete but needs walls and a roof.  Its is small,  about 6'x4'x5'... just large enough to store a couple bales of hay and some extra feed.  I think I will roof it will fiberglass panels, and use something like tarp or 6 mil plastic for the sides.  Scrap plywood will be used on the floor.

Oh!  I almost forgot the deck.  Friends and I built a 16'x24' deck in the backyard.  It is about 18" off the ground and it even has a 8'x8' step up covered pergola that's around 30" off the ground.  It looks nice and is large enough to seat a party!

Tony
Cantonment, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment