Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tomatoes Are Tomatoes...?

It is currently tomato season here in NW Florida though my garden must be surrounded with a micro-climate since I grow tomatoes that are small, sun burned, cracked or bug bruised!  On the other hand, the ones I do manage to harvest before the Mocking birds have their way with them are VERY tasty.

I bring this up because I recently brought home some huge tomatoes that my boss's wife grew, literally the size of soft balls.  My wife, who has little concern for my shaky male ego said that I needed to ask him what kind they were.  Her voice, eyes and attitude implied, "So we can finally grow some real tomatoes!"

So I did, I asked him how he grew these mammoth tomatoes and he told me all about the used stock tank he had that held in the moisture and raised the plants off the ground for easier gardening.  And all about the 100% composted cow and horse manure from their barns with which they filled the tank.  And the special experimental seeds they get from a friend who works at such a place that has such things.

I admit, I was slightly envious and I will also admit that I took away some thoughts of changes to my raised beds; 6" taller making a full 12 inches of depth, and completely filled with my own rabbit manure.  The thing is, and believe me- this isn't 'sour grapes' -I think mine tasted better!  Yes, they were smaller, and yes they were uglier, but I think they had a better "fresh tomato taste," more full bodied.  My boss's tomatoes were huge and juicy but had a more 'waterier' taste.

I suggest that it is due to the seed type.  Perhaps the seed growers were trying to produce a larger tomato, or a less acid tomato, but often there is always a cost and I don't think this variety  has hit the mark yet.  As far as I'm concerned it didn't have the flavor of my Rutgers and Brandywines.  Something like peppers I think, different tomatoes have different attributes and different flavors... no tomatoes are made equal!

So, next year I will make the height additions to my raised beds and fill them with some well aged compost.  Maybe I'll water more for the burning and cracking, and add some bone meal for the bloom end rot.  I'll be more liberal with the diatomacious earth to better control the bugs.  And I'll plant the same old fashioned tomatoes I have been planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment